Brought to Europe by trade, today, oranges are cultivated in:
- subtropical and tropical America
- northern and eastern Mediterranean countries
- and South Africa.
The world production of all kinds of oranges is approximately 70,000,000 metric tons annually.
According to Today I found out..
- The color orange was named after the fruit
- Before then, the English speaking world referred to the orange color as geoluhread, which literally translates to “yellow-red”.
- The word orange itself was introduced to English through the Spanish word “naranja”, which came from the Sanskrit word nāraṅga, which literally means “orange tree”. The English dropped the leading “n” and eventually we got the word “orange”.
- There are 5 words in English who do not rhyme with ANYTHING one of them is Orange.