It is not just a “British English” thing like centre and center.
Blonde or Blond is the only exception in English where there is a difference in adjectives to indicate gender.
– When referring to a woman with yellow hair, you should use the feminine spelling “blonde”.
– When referring to a male with yellow hair, you should use the spelling “blond”.
Facts on blonds
- Blond hair is a mutation believed to have originated 11,000 years ago during the last ice age
- Blond hair and blue eyes are recessive as are red hair and greeneyes.
- Blond hair can range from practically white (platinum blonde) to a dark golden blonde. Strawberry blonde, the mixture of blonde and red hair, is the rarest type of blonde hair.
- Finland is thought to have the highest proportion of natural blondes