Ballet like most professional art started as a way to please royalty.
1. Ballet comes from the Greek ballizo. To dance, to jump about.
2. This type of performance dance originated in the Italian Renaissance courts of the 15th century
3. Posture, alignment, strength, balance, feeling and flexibility are vital for becoming a classical ballet dancer.
4. Ballerinas are athletes: Ballerinas are the most physically fit and self disciplined people on the planet.Dancers are elite athletes as well as artists. They have extraordinary flexibility, muscular strength and both physical and mental endurance. (Did you see Black Swan?)
6. OUCH. Every time a dancer jumps on pointe, 3 times her body weight is carried on the tip of her big toe.
7. A male dancer lifts over 1-1/2 tons worth of ballerinas during performances.
8. Most popular audience-pleasing ballets—such as Giselle, The Nutcracker, The Sleeping Beauty, and Swan Lake
9. Tchaikovsky was Russian he composed the Nutcraker (1892) and Swan Lake (1895).
10. Contemporary ballet is a form of dance influenced by both classical ballet and modern dance. (Abdominal strength from classical ballet)
- SYTYCD – Team Ballet’s Road to Reign (wtpdiaries.wordpress.com)
- Define Athelete (dictionary.com)
- Social networking and blogging for dancer engagement (iamdollywilliams.wordpress.com)
- At the Ballet (eleventhstack.wordpress.com)